Drinking tea in the summer can be a refreshing and enjoyable experience for several reasons:
- Hydration: Despite the common belief that tea dehydrates you, it actually contributes to your daily fluid intake. While some teas contain caffeine, which has a mild diuretic effect, the overall hydration benefits outweigh any potential diuretic effects.
- Cooling effect: While hot tea might not sound appealing in the heat, drinking hot beverages can actually help cool you down. When you drink hot tea, your body temperature increases temporarily, and you start to perspire. As the sweat evaporates from your skin, it cools you down.
- Herbal and iced teas: There are numerous herbal teas that are naturally caffeine-free and can be served as iced teas. Our personal favourite is to make clod brew teas from Nordic Black tea, Blossom tea or Oregano tea. Add fruits and a bit of sparkling water, and decorate with Peppermint leaves!
4. Antioxidants: Tea is rich in antioxidants, which are beneficial compounds that help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. These antioxidants can provide health benefits regardless of the season.
5. Calming and soothing: Some teas, like chamomile and lavender, have calming properties that can help you relax and unwind, which can be particularly helpful during busy and stressful summer days.
6. Social and cultural aspects: In many cultures, tea drinking is a social activity that brings people together. Enjoying a cup of tea with friends or family in the garden or on a patio can be a delightful summer ritual.
7. Digestive aid: Certain teas, such as Peppermint tea, can aid digestion and soothe an upset stomach, which might be useful if you’ve indulged in heavy summer meals or barbecues.
Overall, the choice to drink tea in the summer is a personal preference. Some people might prefer iced teas or cold brews to beat the heat, while others might enjoy the experience of sipping hot tea and feeling its cooling effects. The key is to stay hydrated and enjoy the various flavors and benefits that tea has to offer throughout the year.